Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University volleyball team defeated Fitchburg State University 3-0 this morning in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) match up before falling to Curry College 3-2 this afternoon at the Athletic Center. In the day's other match, Curry defeated Fitchburg State 3-0.
- Scores: Match 1: Framingham St. 3, Fitchburg St. 0 (25-15, 25-12, 25-11)
Match 2: Curry 3, Fitchburg St. 0 (25-21, 25-9, 25-17)
Match 3: Curry 3, Framingham St. 2 (25-19, 16-25, 22-25, 27-25, 15-12)
- Records: Framingham State (14-10, 4-1 MASCAC), Fitchburg State (3-15, 1-4 MASCAC), Curry (13-9)
- Location: Athletic Center – Framingham, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
Framingham 3, Fitchburg 0
- In the first set, the Falcons led 12-8 before the Rams rattled off a 10-0 run fueled by multiple kills from sophomore Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI) to take control of the frame.
- In the second, the Rams opened up a 7-3 lead before extending the lead to 11 at 19-8. The Rams closed the frame with a 6-2 run to secure the 2-0 lead.
- In the third, the two teams traded points before the Rams used a spurt fueled by the serving of sophomore Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) to take a 17-9 lead before taking the frame 25-11.
- The Rams were paced by 11 kills from Thomas who also added three digs and two aces, while junior Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added six and freshman Hailey Sanders (Franklin, Mass.) chipped in with five kills.
- Cafarelli paced the defensive effort with 11 kills and three service aces, while senior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) added seven and junior Morgan Failla (Providence, RI) chipped in 29 set assists.
- The Falcons were paced by six kills and four digs from Lauren Riccardi, while Paige Anderson and Leah Sheehan added four kills apiece.
Curry 3, Fitchburg 0
- Curry opened up a big lead in the opening set, 17-9, but the Falcons came storming back and pulled within three, 24-21. After a timeout by Curry, the Colonels were able to close out the frame.
- Curry jumped out to a quick lead in the second, 6-1, and extended it to 11-3 after back to back aces from Lex Bell before securing the victory in the frame 25-9. In the third, the Colonels once again jumped out to an early lead and held on for the victory in the match.
- Sophomore Lexi Pereira paced the Colonels on the attack with a match-best 16 kills on 38 attempts with just three errors (.342). She also added five digs and three service aces.
- Classmate Faith Herity added seven kills and five digs, while Shea Mathews paced the defensive effort with a game-best 14 defensive digs.
- The Falcons were paced by seven kills and four digs from sophomore Leah Sheehan, while Lauren Riccardi chipped in with six kills, 13 digs and two aces.
- Paige Anderson compiled five kills and 11 defensive digs.
Curry 3, Framingham 2
- In the day's final match, the opening set went back and forth before Curry used a run to open a 19-15 lead and take the set.
- The Rams came back and won the next two sets. In the second, the Rams took the lead early and extended it to as many as nine (19-10) before taking the frame 25-16. In the third, the Rams led from the beginning and held off a late charge by the Colonels to take the 2-1 lead.
- In a tightly contested fourth set, the two teams were trading points and the lead before Curry took a 23-21 lead. The Rams came back and tied the game 23-23 on a kill from Brandey Rodriguez and took the lead 24-23 on a kill from Deirdre Fay. The two teams traded the next two points and the Rams led 25-24. A kill from Lex Bell retied the score and a pair of errors on the Rams sealed the frame for the Colonels.
- The fifth set was tied 6-6 before the Colonels scored two straight taking an 8-6 lead. The Colonels pushed the lead to three (13-10) on a kill from Lexi Pereira before the Rams cut the gap back to one, 13-12. A Rams service error and a kill from Pereira sealed the victory in the set and match for Curry.
- Sophomore Amanda Wood paced the Colonels in the match with 19 kills on 52 attempts to go along with six digs and three blocks.
- Pereira finished the match with 16 kills and 12 digs, while Lex Bell finished with 22 digs and two assists.
- Shea Mathews added 16 digs, while Brooke Reissfelder recorded 30 assists for the Colonels.
- The Rams were paced by 16 kills from sophomore Payton Hodsdon (Somersworth, NH), while freshman Anna Szymanski (Harwinton, Conn.) added 12 kills and eight digs.
- Alyssa Cafarelli finished with a team-high 19 digs, while Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) chipped in with 15 digs and seven kills.
- Morgan Failla (Providence, RI) recorded 48 assists in the match with nine digs.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday night when they travel to Salem State for a MASCAC clash at 7 p.m. The Falcons return to the court on Wednesday when they host Westfield State at 6 p.m. and the Colonels are back in action Tuesday night against the University of New England at 6 p.m.