Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team dropped both ends of a non-conference doubleheader this afternoon at Maple Street Field falling 7-6 to Lesley in the opener before being defeated 10-4 in the six inning nightcap that was shortened due to darkness.
- Scores: Game 1: Lesley 7, Framingham State 6
Game 2: Lesley 10, Framingham State 4
- Records: Framingham State (5-9), Lesley University (11-5)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- The two teams traded runs in the first inning with Riley Pickett doubling in a run for the Lynx and sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) plating a run for the Rams with a sacrifice fly.
- The Rams scored single runs in the second and third taking a 3-1 lead. Sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) scored junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) with a sacrifice fly to left in the second. Sherman scored the run in the third with a groundout to second.
- Lesley got a run back in the top of the fourth on a solo homer by Ilana Zack cutting the deficit to 3-2, but the Rams scored two in the bottom of the inning taking a 5-2 lead. Junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) singled allowing Desrochers to score who had doubled. Moody then scored on a throwing error on a failed pickoff attempt at third base.
- Lesley used a five run fifth inning to reclaim the lead for good. The Lynx received RBI hits in the inning from Zack, Lindsey Jensen and Mahlia Medina as well as a bases loaded walk.
- The Rams would get a run in the bottom of the sixth when senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) drew a bases loaded walk, but that was as close as they would get in the opener.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) took the loss for the Rams going seven innings and allowing seven earned runs on 10 hits with three walks and six strikeouts.
- Jordan Day earned the win for the Lynx going seven innings allowing six runs, three earned, on six hits with seven walks and three strikeouts.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Lynx once again grabbed the early lead with a run on an Ashleigh Acker double to left center in the top of the first.
- The Rams responded with two in the bottom of the frame taking a 2-1 lead. Desrochers walks moved to second on a wild pitch. After Moody sacrificed Desrochers to third, she scored on a wild pitch. Caughey followed with a solo shot to left.
- Two runs in the top of the fourth put the Lynx back on top in the contest. Zack and Kristen DiCicci plated a run apiece on groundouts.
- The Lynx would add four more in the top of the fifth to open up a 7-2 lead. The Rams got a single run in the bottom of the frame on a Salisbury RBI single to right.
- A three spot in the top of the sixth pushed the lead to 10-2, but a single run for the Rams in the bottom of the inning accounted for the final margin in a game called after six innings due to darkness.
- Caughey took the loss in game two for the Rams going four and two thirds allowing seven runs, six earned, on 10 hits with two walks and a strikeout.
- Jen Thorbun earned the win for the Lynx going five innings and allowing four runs, three earned, on six hits with six walks and two strikeouts.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday at home when they host MCLA for a pair of MASCAC games beginning at 1 p.m. The Lynx are back in action on Saturday when they host Becker for a pair of league games at Brandeis at 12 p.m.