Auburndale, Fla. – Senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) went 4-for-4 with six RBI as the Framingham State University baseball team defeated New Paltz 8-3 in game two of a doubleheader this afternoon to earn a split after dropping the opener 12-0 at the RussMatt Invitational.
Game 1: New Paltz 12, Framingham State 0
Game 2: Framingham State 8, New Paltz 3
- Records: Framingham State (6-4), New Paltz (7-4)
- Location: Lake Myrtle– Auburndale, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- New Paltz took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first without recording a hit as they capitalized on a hit batter, a walk and two wild pitches to score on a pair of groundouts.
- New Paltz added four in the bottom of the third extending the lead to 6-0. Matthew McGee plated a run with a single to right and Justin Ganca followed with one as well. A sacrifice fly to center and the back end of an attempted double steal accounted for the final two runs of the frame.
- New Paltz added two in the fourth, a single run in the fifth and three in the bottom of the sixth to reach the final margin.
- Senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) took the loss for the Rams going two innings and allowing two earned runs on two walks with four strikeouts.
- Junior Andrew Curtis (Dracut, Mass.) and senior Joe Ambrosino (Bradeton, Fla.) accounted for the Rams two hits in the game.
- Fogarty went four-for-four at the plate with two doubles, two runs scored and six RBI, while Ambrosino went three-for-four in game two with a double and two runs scored. Curtis and junior Cory Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) recorded two hits apiece for the Rams in game two.
- New Paltz got on the board first with three runs in the top of the first inning, but the Rams came back with three in the bottom of the frame tying the game. Curtis and Ambrosino started the inning with back-to-back singles and Fogarty followed with a two run double to center. After a wild pitch moved Fogarty to third, freshman Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) plated Fogarty on a groundout.
- The Rams took the lead for good in the bottom of the second. The Rams loaded the bases with one out and Fogarty delivered his second two run double of the game for the 5-3 lead.
- The Rams extended the lead in the bottom of the fourth to 8-3. Curtis singled and Ambrosino followed with a double putting runners on second and third for Fogarty. Fogarty plated both on a single through the right side and then scored on a wild pitch.
- Freshman Teaghin Andre (Fairhaven, Mass.) made his first appearance on the mound for the Rams and went three innings allowing three runs, two earned, on four hits with a walk and a strikeout.
- Junior Kyle Coolidge (Plymouth, Mass.) tossed two and a third innings of scoreless relief for the Rams to earn the victory. Coolidge allowed just two hits three walks and a strikeout. Junior Michael Tucci (Danbury, Conn.) worked out a bases loaded jam in the top of the sixth inning as he tossed an inning and two thirds of scoreless relief without allowing a hit and striking out two.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday when they face Rutgers-Newark at Lake Myrtle beginning at 3 p.m.