Salem, Mass. – The Framingham State University volleyball team received a combined 22 kills from freshman Hailey Sanders (Franklin, Mass.) and sophomore Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI) as the Rams defeated Salem State University 3-0 this evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Twohig Gymnasium.
- Scores: Framingham State 3, Salem State 0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-20)
- Records: Framingham State (15-10, 5-1 MASCAC), Salem State (1-17, 1-5 MASCAC)
- Location: Twohig Gymnasium – Salem, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Thomas led the Rams on the attack with a match-best 12 kills on 42 attempts to go along with seven digs, while Sanders recorded 10 kills on 15 attempts for a .400 attack percentage.
- Junior Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added nine kills for the Rams and two digs.
- Junior Morgan Failla (Providence, RI) chipped in with 30 set assists and five digs, while sophomore Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) paced the back row with 27 digs and four aces.
- The opening frame was tightly contested with the Rams leading 13-12 after back-to-back points by the Vikings. The Rams would close the set outscoring the Vikings 12-3 including rattling off eight straight points to take a 20-12 advantage.
- The second set was also tightly contest and the score was tied at 14-14. The Rams took a 17-14 lead on a kill by Sanders, but Salem closed the gap to 17-16 and eventually took a 21-19 lead. The Rams used a 4-0 run capped by another kills from Sanders to take the lead for good.
- Salem led 10-8 but the Rams rallied and tied the game 16-16. The Rams went ahead by two, but Salem retied the game at 18-18. The Rams scored three straight capitalizing on two Salem errors to take the lead for good and secure the victory in the set and the match.
The Rams are back in action Friday night when they travel to Mount Holyoke for a non-conference match.