Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University volleyball team dropped the first set before rallying for three straight to secure a 3-1 victory over Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at the Athletic Center.
- Score: Framingham State 3, Bridgewater State 1 (23-25, 25-12, 25-18, 25-13)
- Records: Framingham State (14-8, 3-1 MASCAC), Bridgewater State (3-9, 2-2 MASCAC)
- Location: Athletic Center - Framingham, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the opening set and led 15-7 before the Bears came charging back with nine straight points taking a 16-15 lead. The Rams tied the game at 16-16 in a Bear error, but Bridgewater State scored the next three points to take a 19-16 lead. The Rams tied the set at 21-21 and went ahead 23-21 on another Bear error. The Bears, however, would close the set with four straight points.
- In the second set, Bridgewater State led 6-4 before the Rams rattled off a 10-2 run taking control of the frame.
- In the third, the Bears jumped out to a 5-0 lead before the Rams tied the set at 8-8. The set would go back and forth until the Rams took the lead for good on a service ace from senior Mackenzie Whalen (Norton, Mass.).
- After trading points to open the fourth game, the Rams took a 9-5 lead on a Bear error. The Bears pulled within one (11-10) on a Ram error, but the Rams rattled off a 14-3 run to close the match.
- The Rams were led by 13 kills from freshman Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI) who also added a block and two digs.
- Junior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) was solid with nine kills, 11 digs and two aces, while Whalen finished the match with 33 set assists and 10 digs.
- Freshman Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) chipped in with 10 digs, while sophomores Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) and Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added eight kills apiece.
- The Bears were led by eight kills apiece from sophomore Sydney Rice (Medway, Mass.) and junior Erin Clifford (Hanson, Mass.). Rice also added five kills, while Clifford chipped in with five blocks including three solo.
- Senior Caddisy Tyros (Chelmsford, Mass.) led the defensive effort with a game-high 18 digs, while senior Grace Stafford (Dennis, Mass.) chipped in with five kills and 12 digs.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Worcester State for a tri-match beginning at 12 p.m., while the Bears host Salve Regina on Thursday at 6 p.m.