Women's Lacrosse Claws Past Bridgewater State for Thrilling 11-10 Overtime Victory
Bridgewater, Mass. – Senior Hanna McMahon (Watertown, Mass.) tallied the game winner in the second overtime as the Framingham State University women's lacrosse team rallied from a three goal deficit in the final five minutes of regulation to force overtime as the Rams defeated Bridgewater State 11-10 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening at Swenson Field.
- Score: Framingham State 11, Bridgewater State 10 (2 OT)
- Records: Framingham State (4-0, 2-0 MASCAC), Bridgewater State (0-3, 0-2 MASCAC)
- Location: Swenson Field – Bridgewater, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears staked themselves a 2-0 lead just over four minutes into the game.
- The Rams responded with a 4-0 run taking a 4-2 lead with just under 15 minutes remaining in the first. Senior Alissa Marino got the Rams on the board before Hanna McMahon followed with the tying marker. Goals from Tara Palermo and Hannah Guerin capped the run.
- The Bears cut the deficit to one before Guerin's second of the game put the Rams up 5-3 with 12:24 on the clock.
- Bridgewater State closed the frame with five straight including a pair from Katherine Tracy to take an 8-5 lead into the half.
- The two teams would trade goals in the opening minutes of the second with Palermo finding the back of the net for the Rams and Hayley Carron for the Bears.
- The game would remain 9-6 until the final five minutes of the second half.
- The Rams scored two straight in just over 30 seconds to pull within one, 9-8, with 4:33 on the clock. Rachel Erickson found the back of the net first off a feed from Hanna McMahon and McMahon followed with a tally off a Guerin helper.
- Marino knotted the game at 9-9 with an unassisted tally with 2:34 left on the clock in regulation.
- The Bears grabbed the lead back, 10-9, when Carron converted a free position shot with 2:02 on the clock.
- Erickson answered for the Rams with a free position goal of her own retying the game at 10-10 with 42 seconds left on the clock.
- The Bears controlled the ensuing draw and called time out. Bridgewater had a pair of good looks at the net, but could not covert sending the game to overtime.
- Marino had a good look for the Rams with 1:30 left in the overtime, but BSU's Olivia Kerrigan came up with the save. The Bears had a chance just before time expired, but Hannah Allen came up with a save on Tracy's shot with just nine seconds remaining to force a second overtime.
- Hanna McMahon made a great move to tally the game winner for the Rams with 3:44 remaining in the second overtime.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hanna McMahon paced the Rams with three goals and two assists in the game, while Guerin finished the contest with two goals and a helper.
- Palermo, Marino and Erickson finished the game with two goals apiece for the Rams.
- Allen earned the victory in net for the Rams in relief as she made five saves.
- Kerrigan finished with nine saves for the Bears, but took the loss.
- Tracy led the Bears offensively with three goals and an assist, while Emily Hiller finished with two goals and two helpers.
The two teams meet again on Saturday night at 6 p.m. in Framingham.