Bridgewater, Mass. – Second seed Framingham State University advanced to the championship round of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Softball Tournament as the two-time defending champion Rams posted a 4-2 victory over fourth seed Fitchburg State University in an elimination game on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Park.
- Scores: Framingham State 4, Fitchburg State 2
- Records: Framingham State (22-19), Fitchburg State (26-16)
- Location: Alumni Park – Bridgewater, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Framingham (22-19) will take on top seed and tournament host Bridgewater State University in the championship round this afternoon at 1:30. The Bears are undefeated in the tournament with a pair of wins over Framingham and Fitchburg. The Falcons wrap up the 2019 campaign with an overall record of 26-16.
- The Rams opened the scoring with a run in the bottom of the first inning. Back-to-back singles by sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) and junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) followed by a ground out put runners on second and third with one away. After a strikeout, Desrochers raced home on a wild pitch to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- The Falcons tied it at 1-1 with an unearned run in the top of the second. Junior Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) walked to lead off the frame and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. One out later, freshman Courtney Luker (North Reading, Mass.) lined a single into left field that was mishandled in the outfield allowing Harnois to come across with the tying run.
- With the game still deadlocked in the top of the sixth, freshman Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) launched a solo home run over the left field fence with two outs in the frame to give the Falcons a 2-1 lead.
- Framingham took advantage of a dropped fly ball to plate three runs in the bottom of the sixth. Moody reached on the error with one out and Caughey followed with a base hit to put runners at the corners. Three consecutive RBI singles by senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, R.I.) and freshmen Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) and Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) gave the Rams a 4-2 lead.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, R.I.) picked up the win in the complete game effort for the Rams. Gunarathne (13-12) gave up two runs (one earned) on five hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
- Sophomore Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) suffered the loss in the circle for Falcons as he allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits. Colvin (6-5) did not issue a walk and fanned three.