Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team earned a share of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) softball regular season title after splitting a doubleheader with Fitchburg State this morning at Maple Street Field. The Falcons took the opener 4-2 before the Rams sailed back for a 15-2 five inning victory in game two.
- Scores: Game 1: Fitchburg State 4, Framingham State 2
Game 2: Framingham State 15, Fitchburg State 2 (5 Innings)
- Records: Framingham State (20-18, 12-2 MASCAC), Fitchburg State (24-14, 8-6 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- In the opener, the Falcons, who were playing as the home team in Framingham today, staked themselves a 4-0 lead heading into the seventh inning after scoring two runs in the bottom of the third and two more in the bottom of the sixth.
- The Rams offense got on the board in the top of the seventh with a pair of runs. Sophomore Victoria Ziner (Easton, Mass.) walked with one out and scored all the from first on a double by junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.). After an out, junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) walked. Dick scored the Rams final run of the game from third on a wild pitch with two outs.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) took the loss for the Rams going six innings and allowing four earned runs on three hits with three walks and 14 strikeouts.
- Taylor Colvin earned the win for the Falcons going seven innings allowing two earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Rams took control in their first at bat of the game with five runs. Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) doubled in a pair of runs and senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) singled home another. Freshman Laeela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) tripled home a run, then scored on a wild pitch for the final run of the frame.
- The Falcons countered with a single run in the bottom of the inning, but the Rams answered with two more in the top of third. Freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) belted a solo homer and sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) added a sacrifice fly.
- An eight run fifth inning put the game out of reach for the Rams who would earn the win in five as a result of the run rule. The big hit in the inning was a grand slam by Moody.
- Caughey went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI in game two and also earned the win in the circle. Caughey went five innings allowing two runs, one earned, on four hits with a walk and eight strikeouts.
- After earning the win in game two, the Rams earn a share of the Regular Season Title with Bridgewater State who also finished the season 12-2 in league action.
Both teams are back in action later this week in the MASCAC Softball Tournament with pairings and seedings announced later today.