Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team defeated Salem State University 10-2 in five innings in both games of a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader at Maple Street Field.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 10, Salem State 2 (5 Innings)
Game 2: Framingham State 10, Salem State 2 (5 Innings)
- Records: Framingham State (11-11, 6-0 MASCAC), Salem (11-13, 2-4 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- Salem State took the lead in the opener in their first at bat of the day on an RBI single to left by Gabryanna Cardenas.
- The Rams took the lead for good with a three spot in the bottom of the inning. Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) plated the first run with an RBI single and senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) plated two with a bases loaded single.
- A single run in the second and four in the third pushed the Rams lead to 8-1. A single run in the fourth on a double by junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) pushed the lead to 9-1.
- Salem State got a run back in the top of the fifth cutting the deficit to seven, but the Rams scored in the bottom of the inning securing the run rule victory.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) earned the victory going four innings and allowing one unearned run on three hits with no walks and four strikeouts.
- Dominique Del Vecchio took the loss for the Vikings allowing 10 runs, nine earned, on 11 hits with six walks and two strikeouts.
- Caughey finished the game three-for-four for the Rams with two runs scored and three RBI, while Salisbury finished the game with three RBI and Dick recorded a pair of hits and pair of RBI.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Rams got on the board in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI double. Five runs in the bottom of the second and two in the bottom of the fourth pushed the lead to 8-0.
- Salem plated a pair in the top of the fifth cutting the deficit to 8-2, but the Rams countered with two in the bottom of the inning to secure their second run rule victory of the day.
- Caughey finished game two with three hits, a run scored and six RBI, while Salisbury recorded two hits and drove in a pair. Sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) and junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) recorded two hits apiece with Desrochers scoring three times and Moody crossing the plate twice.
- Gracie Hogan paced the Vikings with two hits in the game, while Chloe Manousos doubled driving in a run for the visitors. Hogan took the loss in the circle going three innings and allowing six runs, three earned, on eight hits with a walk.
- Gunarathne earned the win in game two going five innings allowing two runs, one earned, on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday when they host Simmons for a pair non-conference games at 3 p.m., while the Vikings host Endicott on Thursday for a doubleheader at 3 p.m.