Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team swept a non-conference doubleheader this afternoon with UMass Dartmouth taking the first game 7-2 before rallying from a one run deficit in the fifth to defeat the Corsairs 5-4 in the nightcap at Maple Street Field.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 7, UMass Dartmouth 2
Game 2: Framingham State 5, UMass Dartmouth 4
- Records: Framingham State (5-7), UMass Dartmouth (9-9)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- The Corsairs got on the board first in the top of the third inning. Averi Soares singled to center and moved second on a wild pitch. After a walk, Kylie Fletcher reached on a fielding error by the Rams and Soares scampered home from second with the game's first run.
- The Rams tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) singled to left and moved to second when classmate Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) was hit by a pitch. Freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) delivered an RBI single to right plating Desrochers with the tying run.
- UMass Dartmouth grabbed the lead back in the top of the fourth on an RBI ground out from Lauren Talbot with runners on second and third.
- The Rams took the lead back for good in the bottom of the inning with four runs. Junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) delivered the big hit in the inning, a two run homer to left. Desrochers plated a run with a double and Caughey added an RBI single to left.
- The Rams added two more in the bottom of the sixth on sacrifice flies from junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Caughey to reach the final margin.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) earned the win in the circle for the Rams going seven innings and allowing two runs, one earned, on three hits with five walks and six strikeouts.
- Jill Richards took the loss for the Corsairs going three and a third allowing five runs, all earned, on six hits with a walk.
- Desrochers went two-for-three in the game with three runs scored and an RBI, while Adam finished the game with a pair hits.
Game 2 -
- The Rams grabbed a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second of game two. Sherman walked and moved to third after two errors on the Corsairs. Junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) followed with a sacrifice fly to left.
- UMass Dartmouth tied the game in the top of the third on an RBI triple to right center off the bat of Maddie O'Gryzek that scored Rachel Pereira who was hit by a pitch earlier in the inning.
- The Rams reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the frame on an RBI fielder's choice from senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) and an RBI single from freshman Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.).
- UMass Dartmouth capitalized on a pair of Ram errors in the top of the fourth to score three runs and reclaim the lead, 4-3.
- The Rams rallied in the bottom of the fifth for two runs to retake the lead for good. Adam walked to lead off the inning before giving way to pinch runner Kammarie Pelland (Fitchburg, Mass.). Pelland advanced to second on a sacrifice then scored on a single to right center by Pepin. Sophomore Victoria Ziner (Easton, Mass.) followed with an RBI double plating the winning run.
- Gunarathne came on in relief in the sixth and tossed two innings of scoreless relief to earn her first save of the season.
- Caughey started in the circle for the Rams and earned the victory going five innings allowing four runs, one earned, on four hits with a walk and a strikeout.
- Anna Kerwood took the loss for UMass Dartmouth in relief allowing two earned runs on four hits with two walks and a strikeout.
- Pepin finished the game two-for-two with a run scored and two RBI for the Rams.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday at home when they host Lesley for a pair of games beginning at 3 p.m. The Corsairs are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Eastern Connecticut for a pair of Little East games beginning at 1 p.m.