Clermont, Fla. – The Framingham State University softball team surrendered six runs in the final two innings as they were defeated 7-4 by Trinity and gave up three runs in the bottom of the seventh as Endicott walked off with a 3-2 victory against the Rams this morning at the PFX Games.
- Scores: Trinity 7, Framingham State 4
Endicott 3, Framingham State 2
- Records: Framingham State (1-3), Trinity (2-1), Endicott (3-0)
- Location: Legends Way – Clermont, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
FSU vs. Trinity -
- The Rams took the early lead with a run in their first at bat. Sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) singled and moved to second on a one out single by sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.). Both runners moved up a base on a wild pitch and freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) plated Desrochers with an RBI ground out.
- The Rams added two more in the third extending their lead to 3-0. Junior Kirsten Dick (Dracut, Mass.) singled and advanced when Desrochers walked. Junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) sacrificed both runners over and Adam followed with a two run single. Senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) followed with a double, but the inning ended when Adam was thrown out at the plate.
- Trinity cut the deficit to 3-1 with a run in the top of the third and took their first lead of the game, 4-3, with three in the top of the sixth.
- A three run top of the seventh put the Bantams up 7-3. The Rams got a single run in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single from Caughey to reach the final margin.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) took the loss going seven innings and allowing seven runs, all earned, on 10 hits with two walks and six strikeouts.
- Caughey finished the game with a pair of hits, while Adam recorded a hit and three RBI. Freshman Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) also recorded two hits.
FSU vs. Endicott -
- The Rams grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning. Adam tripled down the right field line and scored a batter later as senior Salisbury singled to left. That was all the Rams would get in the frame as Endicott retired the next three straight batters.
- The Rams added a second run in the top of the fifth inning extending the lead to 2-0 on an RBI single to right center off the bat of Caughey. Desrochers led off the inning with a double to left and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Moody setting the plate for Caughey's RBI single.
- Endicott threatened in the bottom of the sixth when Lauren Misiaszek doubled to right center to lead off the inning, but Caughey retired the next three batters on a fly out, a strikeout and ground out to end the inning.
- Peyton Atkins led off the bottom of the seventh with a single to center for the Gulls. Olivia Odermatt followed with a double down the left field line and an infield single by Gina DeMilt loaded the bases. Jamie Hopgood singled and advanced on the throw allowing two runs to score tying the game 2-2. Demilt scored what proved to be the game winning run a few pitches later on a wild pitch as the Rams were attempting to intentionally walk the batter.
- Caughey took the loss going six innings allowing three earned runs on 11 hits with two walks and two strikeouts.
- Salisbury finished the game with two hits and RBI, while Adam, Descrochers and Caughey had a single hit apiece.
The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they face Bethany and Bowdoin in a pair of games at Legends Way.