Dartmouth, Mass.- UMass Dartmouth senior midfielder Junior Monteiro (New Bedford, Mass.) scored a pair of goals, including the game-winner in the 71st minute of play, to lead the Corsairs to a 2-1 non-league college men's soccer victory over Framingham State Saturday afternoon at Cressy Field.
- Score: UMass Dartmouth 2, Framingham State 1
- Records: UMass Dartmouth (3-1), Framingham State (1-4)
- Location: Cressy Field – Dartmouth, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Monteiro staked the host Corsairs (3-1), who are off to their best start in three years, to a 1-0 lead in the 54th minute when he converted a deflection of freshman Cody Santo's (Dartmouth, Mass.) shot into the right corner of the net.
- The visiting Rams (1-4) evened matters just 1:55 later when sophomore Nahuel Algibay (Montevideo, Uruguay) struck from point blank range in front off a deflection off freshman Gustavo Cassemiro's (Minas Gerais, Brazil) original shot.
- Monteiro provided the heroics less than 15 minutes later for UMass Dartmouth, as he blasted a shot from 10 yards out for his third goal of the season that enabled the hosts to surpass their entire win total of last season in just five days.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Jake Castro (Swansea, Mass.) picked up his third win of the year in goal with a 10-save effort on the day for UMass Dartmouth.
- Senior Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.) made three stops in the setback for Framingham State.
- The Rams outshot the Corsairs by a 14-9 margin overall (11-5 on goal) and held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks for the contest
UMass Dartmouth hosts Salem State in a non-league match on Wednesday evening at Cressy Field beginning at 7:00 pm, while Framingham State entertains Lesley in a non-league clash on Monday afternoon in Framingham, Mass. that begins at 4:00 pm.