Framingham, Mass.- The Clark University men's soccer team defeated Framingham State by a score of 4-2 Wednesday evening in Framingham.
- Score: Clark University 4, Framingham State 2
- Records: Framingham State (1-4), Clark University (4-1)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cougars had a great chance to get on the board about 10 minutes in but a diving save by Rams keeper James Hartshorn (Chelmsford, Mass.) kept the score tied.
- The Rams answered moments later with a chance of their own but the Cougars netminder Melvin Vincent (Rochester, Mass.) made a kick save by the left post to preserve the tie.
- The Cougars broke through in the 27th minute when Trevor Sheridan (Massapequa Park, NY) found the back of the net with help from Sean Munroe (Silver Spring, MD).
- The Rams scored early in the second frame on a Gustavo Cassemiro (Minas Gerais, Brazil) penalty after Clark committed a foul in the box.
- The Cougars answered with scores in the 58th and 60th minutes. First Alex Maiorano (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored off a pass from Jonathan Guilherme (Oxford, Conn.). Moments later Munroe tallied after winning a 50-50 ball sent from Charlie Lane (Southborough, Mass.).
- The Rams cut into the deficit in the 72nd minute when Cassemiro sent a beautiful long pass to Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass.) who sent it past Vincent to make it a one score game.
- The Cougars were able to extend the lead back to two when Munroe sent in a long strike over the head of Hartshorn.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hartshorn made eight stops in net for the Rams while Vincent made two stops for Clark.
- Clark outshot the Rams 11-to-9 in the first half and 23-to-13 in the contest.
The Rams return to the pitch on Saturday, September 14th when they travel to UMass Dartmouth at 4pm. The Cougars will host Colby-Sawyer on Wednesday, September 18th at 4pm.