Framingham, Mass.- Framingham State sophomore Nahuel Algibay (Montevideo, Uraguay) tallied a late second half goal to break a 1-1 tie and propel the Rams to a 2-1 win over Emmanuel College in the season opener for both squads.
- Score: Framingham State 2, Emmanuel 1
- Records: Framingham State (1-0), Emmanuel (0-1)
- Location: Rotch Field – Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams were the first to make an offensive attack as senior Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) charged the Emmanuel goal, but senior Jonathon Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) made the first save of the season for the Saints.
- EC found the back of the net only 11:37 into the game as sophomore forward Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) crossed a dime to senior William Burdick (Scarborough, Maine) for the first goal of the year, 1-0.
- Framingham continued to press and finally tied the match at one a piece as De Souza scored off of an assist through the box by Algibay.
- Both teams continued physical play through the remainder of the first half, but neither team was able to capitalize closing the half, 1-1.
- Algibay was able to break the tie when he scored in the seventy-sixth minute when De Souza put a ball ahead for the sophomore to take to the net, beating two Saints and finding the back of the net, 2-1.
- Despite late match offensive attacks by the Saints, including two corner kick attempts, the Rams were able to finish the evening with their first victory of the 2019 season, 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams controlled most of the offense of the game, recording 17 shots, nine of which were on goal, while the Saints only put up nine shots, two of which were on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) recorded seven saves in his first loss of the year, including one on a penalty kick halfway through the second half.
- Framingham senior Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.) recorded one save in the win for the Rams.
Framingham State will be back on the road on Tuesday, September 3rd when they visit Tufts University at 7pm.
*Release courtesy of Emmanuel sports information