Northborough, Mass. – The third seed Framingham State University baseball team defeated sixth seed Worcester State University 10-2 this morning in an opening round game of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Baseball Tournament at the New England Baseball Complex.
- Scores: Framingham State 10, Worcester State 2
- Records: Framingham State (21-17), Worcester State (20-20)
- Location: New England Baseball Complex – Northborough, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams received a complete game performance from senior Kyle Hodgson (Berkley, Mass,). Hodgson went nine innings allowing two earned runs on eight hits with no walks and three strikeouts.
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the first inning. Senior Kyle Lippert (Carlsbad, Calif.) doubled and moved to third on a single by junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.). With runners on the corners, Higgins attempted to steal second and got in a rundown allowing Lippert to score from third.
- The Rams added two in the bottom of the second pushing the lead to 3-0. Freshman Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) doubled in a run and junior Cory Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) followed with an RBI double scoring DeSimone.
- Four runs in the third pushed the lead to 7-0. Senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) scored two with a single up the middle and DeSimone plated the final two on a two run single.
- Fogarty launched a two run homer to right in the fourth inning to push the lead to 9-0 for the Rams.
- Worcester plated a pair of runs in the top of the seventh, but the Rams added a single run in the bottom of the eighth on a double by junior Andrew Curtis (Dracut, Mass.) to reach the final margin.
- Higgins and Lippert finished the game with three hits and two runs scored apiece for the Rams, while Fogarty drove in four and DeSimone three.
With the victory, the Rams advance to the double elimination portion of the tournament and will face second seed Fitchburg State at 3 p.m. at the NEBC, while the Lancers see their season come to a close.