Framingham, Mass. – Senior Kyle Hodgson (Berkley, Mass.) recorded his 200th career strikeout as the Framingham State University baseball team defeated Worcester State 3-2 in game one of a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader this afternoon at Bowditch Field. The Lancers came from behind scoring three runs in the top of the seventh taking game two 5-4.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 3, Worcester State 2
Game 2: Worcester State 5, Framingham State 4
- Records: Framingham State (13-13, 7-5 MASCAC), Worcester State (12-13, 5-7 MASCAC)
- Location: Bowditch Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- Hodgson earns his fourth straight victory on the mound. Hodgson went seven innings and allowed just two earned runs on seven hits with two walks and 10 strikeouts. With his eighth strikeout of the game in the fourth inning, Hodgson reached the 200 strikeout mark for his career. Hodgson now has 202 career strikeouts in four years as a Ram.
- The Lancers grabbed a 2-0 lead with single runs in the top of the first and second. Andrew Miller doubled with one out in the top of the first and then scored on a single down the leftfield line by Ben Palatino. In the second, Kenan Kolanda led off the inning with a solo homer to center.
- The Rams cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the third inning on a sacrifice fly off the bat of senior Joe Ambrosino (Bradeton, Fla.) that plated freshman Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) who had singled to lead off the inning.
- The Rams plated the tying run in the bottom of the fifth inning on a sacrifice fly to center by senior Kyle Dembrowski (Natick, Mass.).
- The Rams took the lead in the bottom of the sixth inning. Junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.) doubled to right and came around to score on a single to center by DeSimone.
- Hodgson retired the Lancers in order in the top of the seventh to secure the victory.
- DeSimone finished the opener with a pair of hits, while senior Aaron Williams (Brockton, Mass.) also reached base twice.
- Sean Mahan took the loss for the Lancers on the hill going five and a third allowing three earned runs on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Lancers got on the board first in the top of the fourth inning when a bases loaded double play ball scored a runner from third.
- The Rams answered in the bottom of the inning tying the game at 1-all. Ambrosino doubled to center and moved to third on a single from Dembrowski. Junior Andrew Curtis (Dracut, Mass.) followed with a single to center scoring Ambrosino.
- Two runs with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning put the Rams ahead 3-1. Williams reached on an infield single and scored when Higgins followed with a two run homer to center.
- An RBI single from Seth Leslie in the top of the sixth cut the gap back to one for Worcester, but the Rams answered with a run in the bottom of the inning when pinch runner RC Goodman (Springfield, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch pushing the lead back to two runs.
- In the top of the seventh, the Lancers started the inning with back to back singles putting runners on first and second. Michael Chaves followed with a bunt and the throw got away allowing the runner to score from second. A sacrifice fly from Cooper Bigelow tied the game before Jake Breton plated the winning run on a single up the middle.
- The Rams threatened in the bottom of the frame with two outs and the bases loaded, but the Lancers were able to record the final out and secure the win.
- Senior Al Wallach (Nahant, Mass.) took the loss going six and a third allowing five runs, two earned on 11 hits with three strikeouts. Junior Kevin Scerra (Marlborough, Mass.) tossed two thirds of an inning of scoreless relief with a strikeout.
- Kyle Gray earned the win for the Lancers allowing four earned runs on 10 hits, while Aidan Abernathy earned the save.
The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they host Lesley at 3:30 p.m., while the Lancers travel to Salve Regina on Monday at 3:30 p.m.