Northboro, Mass. - The Framingham State University baseball team walked off with a 7-6 victory in game one before taking game two in convincing fashion 9-2 as the Rams swept MCLA in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 7, MCLA 6
Game 2: Framingham State 9, MCLA 2
- Records: Framingham State (9-8, 3-0 MASCAC), MCLA (6-12, 0-3 MASCAC)
- Location: New England Baseball Complex – Northboro, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- The Rams took the early lead in game one with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning on a two run bases loaded single by senior Kyle Dembrowski (Natick, Mass.).
- The Rams pushed the lead to 3-0 on an RBI single from senior Joe Ambrosino (Bradeton, Fla.) in the bottom of the second.
- MCLA plated three runs in the top of the third tying the game at 3-3. Jeff Bink delivered a two run single and the Trailblazers capitalized on a Ram error to tie the game.
- Dembrowski led off the bottom of the frame with a solo homer to left putting the Rams back on top 4-3.
- MCLA reclaimed the lead with two runs in the top of the sixth on a two run ground rule double off the bat of Austin Rachiele.
- A solo homer from Christian Seariac pushed the lead to two runs, 6-4, for the Trailblazers in the top of the seventh.
- The Rams sent eight men to the plate in the bottom of the seventh as they scored three runs to walk off with the victory. Senior Kyle Lippert (Carlsbad, Calif.) singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on a wild pitch. Junior Andrew Curtis (Dracut, Mass.) reached on an infield hit moving Lippert to third. A wild pitch moved Curtis to second and allowed Lippert to score from third. Ambrosino walked and after an out stole second. Dembrowski followed with an RBI run single to left knotting the game at 6-6. After an out, an intentional walk loaded the bases for freshman Jonathan Cloutier (Falmouth, Mass.) who delivered an RBI single giving the Rams the victory.
- Senior Al Wallach (Nahant, Mass.) started for the Rams but did not factor in the decision going six innings and allowing six runs, five earned, on nine hits with two walks and two strikeouts.
- Junior Kevin Scerra (Marlborough, Mass.) earned the win tossing one inning of scoreless relief.
- Dillon Maxon took the loss for MCLA in relief allowing three earned runs on two hits without recording and out.
- Dembrowksi finished the game three-for-four at the plate with a run scored, four RBI and a homer, while Cloutier finished the game with three hits.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Rams plated four runs in the bottom of the first to take control of the game. Curtis reached on a throwing error allowing the first run of the game to cross the plate and Ambrosino followed with a three run homer to right.
- A single run in the bottom of the third on Dembrowski's second homerun of the day pushed the lead to 5-0.
- MCLA would get a single run back in the top of the fifth, but the Rams scored three in the bottom of the inning. Junior Cory Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) reached on an error allowing two runs to score and senior Aaron Williams (Brockton, Mass.) delivered and RBI single.
- The two teams traded runs in the sixth to reach the final margin.
- Senior Kevin Connelly (Bolton, Mass.) earned the win in game two going five and two thirds allowing two earned runs on three hits with six walks and six strikeouts.
- Sophomore Josh Jezouit (Williamstown, Mass.) tossed an inning and a third of scoreless relief allowing just one hit.
- Mike Urbanski took the loss for MCLA going three innings and allowing five runs on four hits.
- Williams finished game two with a pair of hits, while Ambrosino scored twice and drove in three runs.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday afternoon when they travel to Salem State for MASCAC contest at 3:30 p.m., while the Trailblazers host Westfield State on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.