Auburndale, Fla. – The Framingham State University baseball team was defeated 12-8 by Rutgers-Newark in a back and forth affair this afternoon at the RussMatt Invitational.
- Scores: Rutgers-Newark 12, Framingham State 8
- Records: Framingham State (6-5), Rutgers-Newark (3-4)
- Location: Lake Myrtle – Auburndale, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams grabbed the early lead with a three spot in the top of the first inning. Senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) plated the first two runs with a single up the middle and junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.) plated Fogarty with a single through the right side.
- Rutgers-Newark cut the deficit to 3-1 in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single by Kevin Tamsula.
- The Scarlet Raiders added five runs in the bottom of the second to take a 6-3 lead.
- The Rams got a single run in the third on an RBI single to center by Fogarty and three in the fourth to retake the lead 7-6. In the fourth, senior Kyle Lippert (Carlsbad, Calif.) delivered a two run single up the middle and classmate Joe Ambrosino (Bradeton, Fla.) followed with an RBI single to center.
- The Scarlet Raiders took the lead for good in the bottom of the fifth. They tied the game on an error by the Rams and went ahead on a two run single up the middle by Ryan Zucker.
- The Rams added a single run in the seventh on a single to center by senior Kyle Dembrowski (Natick, Mass.) and Rutgers-Newark added three in the bottom of the eighth to reach the final margin.
- Fogarty finished the game three-for-five at the plate with two runs scored and three RBI, while Lippert went one-for-three with two walks, two runs scored and two RBI. Ambrosino finished the game with a pair of hits.
- Senior Kevin Connelly (Bolton, Mass.) started for the Rams and did not factor in the decision. Connelly went four innings allowing six runs, three earned, on five hits with three walks and six strikeouts. Classmate Alex Erwin (Tewksbury, Mass.) took the loss going a third of an inning and allowing two unearned runs on no hits with two walks and a strikeout.
The Rams close out their spring trip on Saturday morning when they face TCNJ at Lake Myrtle at 9:45 a.m.